Book Code: 7360
Size: 5" x 8"
Publisher: JUDSON PRESS
List Price: $12.00
Web Price: $9.60
Rewired addresses the questions:
- How do social networking technologies affect relationships and communication?
- What are the pros and cons of using this technology in youth ministry?
- What practical skills are needed to begin integrating communication and social networking technology in ministry?
The book offers readers:
- Real-life insight from teens who use this technology on a regular basis
- Feedback and insight from youth pastors who use IM and MySpace in their ministry
- Specific tips on IM and MySpace use, including getting connected, using the language, and building a profile
- Value-added, interactive online components that will keep information fresh and current
"I appreciate the approach taken in this book because it is thoughtful and measured—not too “gee whiz” and not too jihad. Peggy Kendall talks about both the dangers and the benefits of cyber-relationships...Perhaps the most important facet of this book is that Peggy Kendall knows something about real, live teenagers. The stories she tells remind us that this book is not just a research project, nor is it even a book about the Internet. It’s primarily a book about kids and those who care about them, and about how those of us who are youth pastors and parents can redeem the Internet as a place for community, learning, and building faith. It’s a very cool idea, laid out very well, in a very good book." —Duffy Robbins, Professor of Youth Ministry, Eastern University, St. Davids, Pennsylvania
"For the older youth minister, it’s a direct way to figure out how to respond to what might be a frustrating trend, and for the young minister who already is deeply involved in this, it’s a good resource for understanding the pitfalls." —Darrell Pearson, Professor of Youth Ministry, Eastern University, St. Davids, Pennsylvania
“This book will be a helpful resource for classes such as Youth Culture, Youth Ministry Programming, or Evangelism.” —Eduardo M. Ramirez, DMin, Associate Professor of Youth Ministry, Eastern University, St. Davids, Pennsylvania
"Rewired: Youth Ministry in an Age of IM and MySpace takes what for many of us is a confusing and overwhelming world—the world of adolescent on-line communication—and walks us through it, deftly explaining and broadening our understanding. Kendall has written an engaging and straightforward book, providing in-depth analysis of social networking—how-tos, implications, and ideas for how social networking can be a positive experience for teens, concluding each chapter with a concise glossary of terms and ideas. A must read for today's parents and youth workers." —Pamela J. Erwin, Professor of Youth Ministry & Practical Theology, Bethel University, St. Paul, MN, Board Chair, Association of Youth Ministry Educators
"Rewired is culturally 'right on' and biblically sound. Recommended for youth workers." —Church Libraries, Summer 2008